William Escobar, Associate
William is an associate at Consortium Legal - El Salvador and a licensed attorney and notary with over 15 years of experience, especially in the area of Tax Law. He has experience advising and accompanying in the defense of tax assessment procedures and imposition of sanctions in matters of internal, customs and municipal taxes. Additionally, in the presentation of Appeals in tax, customs and municipal matters, and with experience in the Contentious-Administrative Process and Amparo Process.
William has extensive experience in the preparation of legal opinions on internal, customs and municipal taxes; and in the processing of Tax Consultations before the General Directorate of Internal Taxes and in consultations and advance resolutions before the General Directorate of Customs.
During his career, he has worked in the San Salvador City Hall and in the Court of Appeals of Internal Taxes and Customs. He has also advised companies and public agencies on tax issues related to corporate practices; compliance with tax obligations; foreign trade and origin of goods; preferential tax regimes related to the Law of Industrial and Commercial Free Zones, International Services Law, and other tax benefits.
- Advised and represented ARCHER DANIELS MIDLAND COMPANY in the origin verification of the merchandise initiated by the General Directorate of Customs of El Salvador, regarding the product called “granza rice” sold to Salvadoran importers, which guaranteed the enjoyment of the tariff benefits contained in the Free Trade Agreement between the United States, Central America and the Dominican Republic (CAFTA-DR). Although this type of procedure does not declare an obligation to pay in favor of the State, it is estimated that free trade had been denied to exports that exceeded 15 million dollars (USD).
- He is advising and representing an important company in the hydrocarbon sector, in matters of tax litigation, regarding the Income Tax determined ex-officio and fines, for amounts exceeding 6 million dollars (USD).
- He is advising and representing an important company dedicated to the manufacture and marketing of consumer goods, in matters of municipal tax litigation with respect to ex-officio Municipal Taxes and fines, for amounts exceeding 300 million dollars (USD).
- Master’s Degree in Business Law, Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas, El Salvador (2015)
- Degree in Legal Sciences, Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas, El Salvador (2006)
- Attorney and Notary authorized by the Supreme Court of Justice of the Republic of El Salvador
Edificio Avante Local 313, Urb. Madre Selva III. Calle Llama del Bosque Poniente. Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad, El Salvador
T.: +503 2209 1600
Languages: Spanish and English