Cristina Sandoval, Senior Associate
Labor and Inmigration Law
Cristina is a senior associate at Consortium Legal – Guatemala. She has 7 years of experience in banking, energy, food and beverage, and nonprofit entities. Her experience also includes immigration law, labor law, occupational health and safety matters, and corporate law. She has participated as a speaker in seminars and conferences and is the author of various articles regarding immigration, visas, and labor matters in Guatemala.
During her career, she has advised clients on strategic planning. She has assisted clients in a wide range of industries in legal compliance of special immigration and labor matters, facilitating the transfer of their foreign employees. She has also participated as a member of the panel of legal examiners of labor law students at the Universidad del Istmo law school. Since 2014, she has Chaired the Immigration Law Committee at the American Chamber of Commerce. She is also an international associate of the American Immigration Lawyer Association
- She led a transfer of more than 800 foreigners. Because of the volume and importance of such transaction, it was deemed a project of national interest. Cristina held various negotiations with the Guatemalan Immigration Department as well as the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
- She has actively participated in reviewing legislative proposals regarding immigration issues. Also, as part of the Immigration Law Committee at the American Chamber of Commerce she is continuously involved in writing papers to critique, give feedback on and improve immigration processes.
- As a part of Consortium Legal´ s active participation in Pro Bono Matters (and part of the Guatemalan Pro Bono Foundation), she has assisted the Vance Center´s Keeping Families Together program to obtain necessary legal documentation for Guatemalan immigrants to the United States to be reunited with family members after the “Zero Tolerance” Policy.
- Although her core work focuses in the immigration sector, Cristina is also an expert in labor law specifically in occupational safety and health matters where she has led legal compliance projects in this matter and has conducted audits and advising for national companies and branches (including one of the biggest companies in Guatemala with more than 200 branches).
- Master of Corporate Law, Universidad Rafael Landívar, Guatemala (2016)
- Degree in Legal and Social Sciences, Universidad Rafael Landívar, Guatemala (2012)
- Member, Guatemalan Bar Association
- Member, American Chamber of Commerce in Guatemala (AMCHAM)
- Member, American Immigration Lawyer Association (AILA)